Embarking on a cruise aboard the majestic Marella cruises Discover 2 ship is an invitation to an unforgettable adventure across some of the most mesmerizing waters.
The Marella Discovery 2 offers a variety of cabins, each with its distinct charm and set of amenities. However, not all cabins are created equal. Just like how you don't want to forget those top cruise essentials, you will also want to review the top cabins to avoid.
This guide aims to arm you with valuable insights on which Marella Discovery 2 cabins to avoid while booking your journey.
Understanding the Marella Discovery 2 Ship Layout
The Marella Discovery 2 is an epitome of modern maritime elegance, combining sophisticated design with a plethora of amenities to ensure a memorable voyage for its guests.
Grasping the general layout of the ship is the first step towards picking the perfect cabin for your journey. Here, we delve into the structural nuances of Marella Discovery 2 cabins to avoid, elaborating on the types of cabins available and their placement on the ship.
- Marella Discovery 2 boasts eleven decks, each offering a unique blend of cabins, dining venues, entertainment options, and other amenities.
- Key areas like restaurants, pools, and entertainment venues are distributed across different decks, affecting the foot traffic and noise levels in adjacent cabin areas.
Types of Cabins
- Inside Cabins: These are the most economical choice, devoid of windows, making them ideal for travelers who prefer a dark room for sleep.
- Outside Cabins: Equipped with a porthole or a picture window, these cabins offer a glimpse of the sea or the port, providing a refreshing ambiance.
- Balcony Cabins: A private balcony accompanies these cabins, allowing you to soak in the sun and enjoy the sea breeze in solitude.
- Suites: The epitome of luxury, cruise with suites offer spacious accommodation with separate living areas, larger bathrooms, and often, a private balcony.
- Forward, Midship, and Aft: Cabins located forward may experience more motion, while those at midship offer the most stability. Aft cabins can be quieter but might suffer from engine noise and vibrations.
- Upper Decks vs Lower Decks: Cabins on upper decks are closer to pools, buffets, and other amenities, while lower decks tend to be quieter and more stable.
Navigating the Deck Plans
- It's advisable to study the deck plans available on Marella's official website or consult with your travel agent. Identifying the proximity of your potential cabin to the elevators, stairwells, and other high-traffic areas will give you a better idea of the noise levels and convenience.
Amenities and Facilities Nearby
- Note the location of essential facilities like laundrettes, guest services, and medical facilities. Being close to necessary amenities can add comfort to your stay, but being too close to high-traffic venues might hinder your peace.
Acquainting yourself with the ship's layout, understanding the different types of cabins, and identifying their pros and cons based on location will significantly aid in making a well-informed decision.
The right cabin not only enhances your onboard experience but also ensures a serene sanctuary to retreat to after a day filled with activities and exploration.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Cabin
Your cabin is your home away from home while on the Marella Discovery 2, making its selection an essential part of your cruise preparation. Various factors can impact your stay, and considering them beforehand can significantly enhance your voyage.
Below we explore these factors to equip you with the necessary knowledge to make a well-informed cabin selection.
Proximity to Amenities
- Being near dining venues, entertainment areas, and pools can be convenient, but it may also come with increased foot traffic and noise.
- Evaluate what amenities are most important to you and consider a cabin that balances convenience with tranquility.
- Noise can emanate from numerous sources including adjacent entertainment venues, machinery, high traffic areas, and even the ocean.
- Cabins situated away from these noise sources, and sandwiched between other quiet cabins or passenger decks, tend to be quieter.
- A room with a view enhances the cruise experience, but not all windows and balconies are created equal.
- Ensure your chosen cabin doesn’t have obstructions like lifeboats or structural elements blocking the view.
Size and Configuration of the Cabin
- Cabins vary in size and layout; some may feel cramped or have awkward configurations.
- Opt for cabins with ample space and a functional layout to ensure a comfortable stay.
- Consider your mobility needs when selecting a cabin.
- Accessible cabins are designed for guests with mobility issues and offer wider doorways, ramped entrances, and more turning space.
Armed with a clear understanding of these factors, you can now sift through the variety of cabins on Marella Discovery 2 with a discerning eye. Your perfect cabin awaits—one that aligns with your preferences and promises a serene, enjoyable cruise experience.
Cabins Near High Traffic Areas
The allure of a cruise lies in its endless activities, gastronomic delights, and soothing ambiance, all nestled within the floating marvel that is the Marella Discovery 2.
However, certain cabins located near high-traffic areas might expose guests to a bit more hustle and bustle than they'd prefer. In this section, we dissect the ship layout to pinpoint such cabins and provide a clearer perspective on what to expect.
Identification of High Traffic Areas
- Common high traffic areas include dining venues, entertainment hubs, pools, elevators, and stairwells.
- The flow of guests to and from these venues, especially during meal times and events, can be quite substantial.
- The proximity to high traffic areas might lead to increased noise levels, both during the day and night.
- Privacy may also be compromised, especially in cabins near pools or outdoor activity areas.
Listing and Discussion of Specific Cabins to Avoid
- Utilize deck plans to identify cabins situated near the aforementioned high traffic areas.
- For instance, cabins near the main atrium or directly above/below entertainment venues might experience more noise and foot traffic.
Taking a moment to review the ship's layout and identify high traffic areas can significantly aid in avoiding potential cabin pitfalls.
The goal is to secure a peaceful retreat where the only thing you'll hear is the soothing hum of the ocean as Marella Discovery 2 glides through the calm waters, steering you towards your next exciting destination.
Cabins with Obstructed Views
The soothing vista of endless waters or the picturesque view of a tranquil harbor from your cabin can greatly enhance the joy of cruising. However, not all cabins on the Marella Discovery 2 afford such unspoiled views.
Some cabins have obstructions that may dampen the aesthetic appeal. In this section, we delve into what constitutes an obstructed view and which cabins on the Marella Discovery 2 you might want to steer clear of if a clear view is high on your priority list.
What Constitutes an Obstructed View?
- Obstructions can come in the form of lifeboats, ship’s structural elements, or other equipment.
- Even a cabin labeled as having a 'partial view' may have significant obstructions that can impact your enjoyment.
Types of Obstructions
- There could be full or partial obstructions, affecting either the entire window or balcony view or just a portion of it.
- Some obstructions might be minor, like railings or small equipment, while others could significantly block the view.
Listing and Discussion of Cabins with Obstructed Views to Avoid
- Using the deck plans and photos from previous travelers can help identify the cabins with obstructed views.
- It’s important to also read through reviews as sometimes what appears minor on a deck plan might be more bothersome in reality.
The joy of cruising significantly hinges on the mesmerizing views that accompany the voyage.
An obstructed view can be a spoiler, especially if you’re looking forward to enjoying serene sea vistas right from the comfort of your cabin.
Knowledge of which cabins suffer from view obstructions on Marella Discovery 2 will empower you to make an informed decision, ensuring that your sea sojourn is as visually delightful as it is refreshing.
Cabins Below or Above Noisy Areas
The placid hum of the ocean waves and the gentle rocking of the Marella Discovery 2 can be a lullaby for the soul. However, cabins located above or below noisy areas might experience a discord in this symphony of tranquility.
In this section, we dive into which parts of the ship might be the sources of noise pollution and identify the cabins that are prone to such disturbances.
Sources of Noise
- Common sources include entertainment venues, bars, nightclubs, gyms, and service areas such as kitchens or laundry facilities.
- Machinery like the ship's engines or anchors can also generate noise, impacting cabins situated at the lower decks or towards the rear.
- Noise pollution can affect your relaxation, sleep quality, and overall cruising experience.
- Disturbances may occur at any time of the day or night, particularly in areas near nightclubs or service facilities.
Listing and Discussion of Specific Cabins to Avoid
- Utilizing the deck plans, pinpoint cabins that are directly above or below identified noisy areas.
- Cabins above the disco or adjacent to the gym, for instance, might experience thumping music or the clank of gym equipment.
Alternative Cabin Choices
- Opt for cabins sandwiched between other passenger decks or those far away from the identified noise sources.
- Consider the quieter areas of the ship, like the higher decks that are typically farther from the engine noise and other loud machinery.
Securing a peaceful cabin can significantly enhance your cruising comfort. Being aware of the noisier areas aboard the Marella Discovery 2 and choosing your cabin wisely will ensure that your voyage is filled with serene moments, the calmness of the sea echoing through your room, undisturbed by the chaos of noise.
Smaller or Unusually Shaped Cabins
The layout and size of a cabin can vastly impact the level of comfort and satisfaction during your cruise on the Marella Discovery 2.
Some cabins, due to the ship's design, might be smaller or have an unusual shape which could potentially cramp your style. In this section, we dissect these tricky cabin configurations and provide advice on how to avoid getting stuck in a less than ideal space.
Identifying Smaller or Unusually Shaped Cabins
- A look at the deck plans and photos from previous travelers can help identify these cabins.
- Cabins at the bow or stern, or near structural features of the ship might have unconventional layouts.
- Smaller or oddly-shaped cabins can feel cramped and may lack sufficient storage or moving space.
- They might also have smaller bathrooms, less natural light, or awkward furniture arrangements.
Informed cabin selection is the cornerstone of a delightful cruise experience. By avoiding smaller or unusually shaped cabins, you open the door to a spacious, comfy, and welcoming space where you can unwind and relish the majestic maritime world of the Marella Discovery 2.
Accessible Cabins: Who They’re For and Who Should Avoid
Inclusivity is a notable aspect of the Marella Discovery 2, ensuring that every guest, regardless of their mobility levels, enjoys a comfortable and memorable cruising experience.
Accessible cabins are designed meticulously to cater to guests with mobility issues or disabilities. However, it's crucial for all travelers to understand who these cabins are intended for to ensure fair utilization and maximum comfort for all aboard.
Features of Accessible Cabins
- Larger doorways, more turning space, ramped entrances, grab bars, and roll-in showers are some of the key features of accessible cabins.
- These cabins might also have visual and auditory aids for guests with hearing or visual impairments.
Who Should Opt for Accessible Cabins
- Guests with mobility issues, whether temporary or permanent, should consider booking accessible cabins.
- The additional space and facilities can significantly enhance the cruising experience for guests with disabilities.
Importance of Reserving Accessible Cabins for Those in Need
- Reserving accessible cabins when you don’t need the facilities may deprive those who genuinely need them.
- It’s a practice of fairness and consideration for the well-being and comfort of all guests aboard.
Alternative Choices for Those Without Mobility Issues
- Plenty of spacious and comfortable cabin options are available for those without mobility issues.
- Options like balcony cabins or suites offer ample space and amenities for a comfortable stay.
Understanding the unique features of accessible cabins and ensuring they are reserved for those who genuinely need them is a practice of thoughtfulness and consideration.
Other travelers have a plethora of cabin options to choose from to guarantee a comfortable and unforgettable voyage on the Marella Discovery 2.
Tips for Selecting the Best Marella Discovery 2 Cabin
Selecting the ideal cabin on the Marella Discovery 2 is not just about avoiding potential pitfalls but also about aligning your choice with your personal preferences and requirements.
A well-chosen cabin can serve as a serene retreat, a vantage point for breathtaking views, and a comfortable home base from which to explore all the wonders the ship and its destinations have to offer.
In this section, we share some expert tips to help ensure your cabin choice enhances, rather than detracts from, your cruising experience.
Consider Your Itinerary
- If your itinerary involves scenic cruising, a cabin with a good view or balcony may be worth the investment.
- Conversely, on port-intensive cruises, you might spend less time in your cabin, making a budget-friendly inside cabin a wise choice.
Evaluate Your Personal Preferences
- If you're a light sleeper, a cabin in a quiet area far from noisy venues is advisable.
- If you love being in the heart of the action, a cabin near the pools or entertainment hubs might suit you.
Assess Your Budget
- Determine your budget to narrow down your cabin choices.
- Sometimes, splurging a bit on a better cabin category can significantly enhance your cruise experience.
Utilize Deck Plans and Resources
- Thoroughly study the deck plans (review our cruise floor plan guide) to understand the location and layout of the cabins, as well as their proximity to amenities and potential noise sources.
- Use resources like online forums, reviews, and photos from previous travelers to get a realistic idea of the cabins.
Consider Booking Early or Consulting with a Travel Advisor
- Booking early increases the chances of getting the cabin of your choice.
- A knowledgeable travel advisor can provide personalized advice based on your preferences and requirements.
By melding personal preferences with practical considerations and armed with a thorough understanding of the ship's layout, you're well on your way to securing a cabin that will serve as a perfect abode during your maritime adventure on the Marella Discovery 2.
Highlights of Marella Discovery 2
Marella Discovery 2, a gem in the Marella Cruises' fleet, offers a blend of modern amenities, exciting entertainment, and gourmet dining that promises an unparalleled cruising experience.
As you step aboard, you are ushered into a world where luxury meets adventure. Here, we delve into the highlights that make the Marella Discovery 2 an outstanding choice for sea explorers.
- Diverse Dining Venues: From casual snacks at the Snack Shack to fine dining at the 47° restaurant, the gastronomic scene is diverse and delectable.
- International Flavours: The ship's culinary palette reflects global flavors, offering a culinary journey that complements the physical voyage.
- Broadway Show Lounge: Enjoy West End-style shows in a plush 800-seater venue, showcasing a variety of live performances.
- Movies by Moonlight: Experience cinema under the stars on the pool deck, a delightful way to enjoy blockbusters amidst the gentle sea breeze.
Wellness and Relaxation
- Ocean Spa and Beauty Salon: Rejuvenate with a myriad of treatments or a new haircut before hitting the vibrant night scene.
- Fitness Center: Stay fit with well-equipped gym facilities and a range of classes from yoga to high-intensity workouts.
- Kids' Clubs: With age-appropriate activities, kids can have their share of fun, under professional supervision.
- Family-friendly Entertainment: Engage in interactive game shows, or splash around in the family pool, ensuring fun for all ages.
- Rock Climbing Wall: Challenge yourself on the rock-climbing wall, a thrilling activity with a rewarding view.
- Minigolf: Enjoy a round of minigolf with your companions as you sail across the serene waters.
- Interactive Screens: Navigate the ship and discover daily activities using interactive screens scattered throughout.
- Onboard App: Plan your day, reserve dining spots or shore excursions using the convenient Marella Cruises app.
The Marella Discovery 2 unfolds a cornucopia of experiences that cater to every type of traveler. Whether you are a gourmet explorer, a thrill-seeker, or someone looking to unwind in the lap of luxury, this ship has a rich tapestry of offerings awaiting your discovery.
FAQs on Marella Discovery 2 Cabins to Avoid
Navigating the vast array of cabin options on the Marella Discovery 2 can stir up a whirlwind of questions. To further assist in your cabin selection journey, here are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the cabins to potentially avoid:
1. Which cabins on the Marella Discovery 2 are considered noisy?
- Cabins located beneath high-traffic areas like the pool deck, near elevators, or adjacent to entertainment venues might experience more noise disturbances. It's advisable to check deck plans and reviews to pinpoint these cabins.
2. Are all inside cabins small and cramped?
- Not necessarily. While inside cabins generally lack windows and are often more compact, their layout and amenities are designed to maximize space. Some might find them cozy, but if space is a priority, consider opting for an oceanview or balcony cabin.
3. What does it mean if a cabin is 'obstructed view'?
- An 'obstructed view' cabin typically means that there's something blocking the full view from the cabin's window or balcony, such as a lifeboat or structural elements. While they're often priced lower than unobstructed cabins, they might not offer the best views.
4. Are lower deck cabins less desirable than those on higher decks?
- Not necessarily. Lower deck cabins might be farther from certain amenities, but they often experience less movement, which can be beneficial for those prone to seasickness. Additionally, they might be quieter, being farther from high-traffic areas.
5. Should I avoid accessible cabins if I don't have mobility issues?
- Yes, accessible cabins are specially designed for guests with mobility issues. Reserving one without a genuine need might deprive someone who requires its features. Plus, standard cabins often offer layouts better suited for guests without mobility challenges.
6. Do certain decks have more issues with cabin vibrations?
- Cabins located at the very front (bow) or back (stern) of the ship might experience more vibrations, especially during ship maneuvers. If you're sensitive to such movements, consider a midship cabin.
7. How can I be sure I'm not selecting a smaller or unusually shaped cabin?
- Studying the deck plans can give insights into the cabin layouts. Additionally, reading reviews from previous travelers can alert you to any cabins that might be smaller or have an unconventional shape.
8. Are there any online forums or resources where I can read more reviews about specific cabins?
- Yes, several cruise forums and websites have dedicated sections for ship reviews, including cabin-specific feedback. Websites like CruiseCritic or TripAdvisor can be invaluable resources.
9. What should I consider when selecting a cabin if I'm prone to seasickness?
- Opt for a cabin located midship and on a lower deck where the motion of the ship is typically felt less. Moreover, an outside cabin with a window or a balcony might also help as it allows for a visual horizon which can mitigate feelings of motion sickness.
10. How far in advance should I book to get the cabin of my choice?- It's advisable to book as early as possible, especially if you are particular about the location and type of cabin. Some travelers book a year or more in advance to secure their preferred cabin, especially during peak sailing seasons.
11. Can I change my cabin after booking if I change my mind?- Yes, it's possible to change your cabin after booking, but it's subject to availability and potentially subject to price differences. It's best to contact Marella or your travel agent as soon as possible if you wish to change your cabin.
12. Are there any specific cabins on Marella Discovery 2 known for offering better value?- Certain cabins might offer better value due to their size, layout, or location. Reading reviews from previous travelers and consulting forums can provide insights into which cabins are considered great value for the price.
13. What should I do if I end up with a cabin I’m not happy with?- It's always advisable to contact guest services on board to express your concerns. While it might not always be possible to switch cabins, especially on a fully booked cruise, the crew may be able to address some of your concerns or offer alternative solutions.
14. How can I find out the pros and cons of Marella Discovery 2's cabins from previous travelers?- Online forums, travel blogs, and review sites like Cruise Critic are excellent resources for gathering insights from past travelers. Engaging in discussions and asking specific questions on these platforms can also yield valuable information.
15. Are there any upgrades available that can enhance my cabin experience?- Yes, Marella often offers cabin upgrades which could include better locations, larger cabins, or even moving up to a suite. Check with Marella or your travel agent for any available upgrade options closer to your sailing date.
Armed with the answers to these FAQs, potential cruisers are one step closer to making well-informed decisions that could significantly enhance their cruising experience on Marella Discovery 2.
While unexpected situations might arise, being well-prepared can help ensure a smooth and enjoyable voyage.