Asia, the world's largest and most diverse continent, boasts a rich tapestry of cultures, landscapes, and experiences.
Whether you're a history enthusiast, a beach bum, or a culinary explorer, this guide to the best Asian countries to visit will cater to every traveler's whim.
Dive deep into the treasures of the East, uncover hidden gems, and embark on unforgettable journeys as we guide you through the vibrant mosaic that is Asia.
For the History Buff
Asia is a treasure trove of historical wonders, from ancient empires and majestic temples to battle-scarred landscapes.
The stories of millennia are etched in the stones, monuments, and the very soul of this continent. Here are some of the best Asian countries to visit for those hungry for a historical journey.
- Great Wall: Stretching thousands of miles, it's a testament to ancient Chinese engineering and resilience.
- Forbidden City: Once the imperial palace, it holds the essence of China's regal past.
- Terracotta Army: An underground army in Xi'an, revealing the grandeur of the first emperor's vision.
- Taj Mahal: A marble marvel in Agra, symbolizing eternal love and architectural brilliance.
- Temples of Khajuraho: Celebrated for their intricate sculptures and erotic carvings, these temples are a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Forts of Rajasthan: Wander through Amer Fort, Mehrangarh, and Chittorgarh to experience the valor of Rajput warriors.
- Angkor Wat: The largest religious monument in the world, Angkor Wat is a breathtaking blend of symmetry and spirituality.
- Bayon: Renowned for its massive stone faces, it paints a picture of King Jayavarman VII's vision.
- Cu Chi Tunnels: Navigate this underground network which played a crucial role during the Vietnam War, showcasing the indomitable spirit of the Vietnamese.
- Hue Imperial City: Dive into Vietnam's regal past with this vast complex of palaces, walls, and gates.
For those with an insatiable thirst for history, these are but a few of the jewels in Asia's vast historical crown.
As you traverse through these best Asian countries to visit, you'll unravel stories of triumph, tragedy, love, and war, etching memories that'll last a lifetime.
For the Beach Lover
Asia, with its extensive coastline and myriad of islands, is a paradise for those who dream of sandy shores and azure waters. From secluded bays to bustling beach towns, Asia offers an array of sun-soaked experiences.
If you're yearning for the rhythmic sound of waves and the warmth of golden sands, here are the best Asian countries to visit:
- Phuket: Thailand's largest island, renowned for its vibrant nightlife, water sports, and gorgeous beaches like Patong and Kata.
- Koh Samui: A tropical haven with palm-fringed beaches, luxury resorts, and a laid-back charm.
- Phi Phi Islands: Famous for their dramatic cliffs and crystal-clear waters, these islands were immortalized in the movie "The Beach".
- Bali: Known as the Island of the Gods, Bali offers a perfect mix of culture and natural beauty, with beaches like Seminyak and Kuta.
- Gili Islands: A trio of coral-fringed islands boasting turquoise waters and a car-free environment.
- Komodo Island: Beyond its famous dragons, this island also offers Pink Beach, one of only seven pink sand beaches in the world.
- Palawan: Home to the breathtaking El Nido and Coron, it offers a combination of limestone cliffs, hidden lagoons, and pristine waters.
- Boracay: With its powdery white sand and vibrant nightlife, it's a favorite among beachgoers.
- Siargao: A surfer's paradise, this teardrop-shaped island is famed for its waves, lagoons, and laid-back vibe.
- Overwater Bungalows: Experience luxury atop the Indian Ocean in these iconic structures, offering direct access to shimmering waters.
- Coral Reefs: Dive into a world of vibrant marine life and explore the underwater beauty of this tropical paradise.
For the beach aficionado, Asia provides an array of choices, from untouched paradises to bustling coastal cities.
As you explore the best Asian countries to visit for beach bliss, let the waves wash away your worries, and the sun kiss your soul.
For the Nature and Wildlife Enthusiast
Asia, with its varied topographies and biodiverse habitats, is a playground for those seeking nature's marvels and wildlife encounters. From snow-capped peaks to dense rainforests, Asia promises adventures that will leave nature lovers in awe.
If you're captivated by the call of the wild and nature's unspoiled beauty, here are the best Asian countries to visit:
- Himalayas: Trek to the base camps of some of the world's highest peaks, including Mount Everest, for breathtaking panoramas.
- Chitwan National Park: Hop on a jungle safari to spot rhinos, Bengal tigers, and a myriad of bird species in this UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Borneo (Malaysia & Indonesia)
- Rainforests: Wander through some of the world's oldest rainforests, experiencing a symphony of sounds from diverse wildlife.
- Orangutans: Witness the majestic "men of the forest" in their natural habitat, swinging through trees and nurturing their young.
- Diverse Marine Life: Dive into the waters of Sipadan and encounter turtles, sharks, and a rainbow of coral fish.
- Yala National Park: Go on a safari to spot the elusive leopard, elephants, and crocodiles amidst dense forests and grassy plains.
- Whale Watching in Mirissa: Get aboard a boat to spot the giants of the ocean, including blue whales and playful dolphins.
- Sinharaja Forest Reserve: Discover a UNESCO World Heritage rainforest, home to endemic species and lush green canopies.
- Cherry Blossoms: Revel in the pink and white hues of sakura season, especially in Kyoto and Tokyo, marking the onset of spring.
- Mount Fuji: Climb or admire this iconic symmetrical volcano, also a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Nara Deer Park: Interact with the friendly deer, considered national treasures and a symbol of the city of Nara.
For those with a heart rooted in nature and an eye keen on wildlife, Asia is a canvas of unparalleled beauty and diversity. In exploring the best Asian countries to visit, you'll uncover moments of wonder, from the gentle gaze of a wild animal to the serene embrace of untouched landscapes.
For the Urban Explorer and Shopaholic
Asia’s urban landscapes are a mesmerizing blend of the ancient and the ultra-modern. Glittering skyscrapers stand alongside historic temples, while bustling markets compete with mega-malls for the attention of shopaholics.
For those who thrive in the energetic heartbeat of a city and can't resist the lure of shopping, here are the best Asian countries to visit:
- Tokyo: Wander through districts like Shibuya and Shinjuku, marveling at the neon lights and experiencing the controlled chaos. Dive into shopping havens like Ginza and Harajuku for both high-end brands and quirky fashion.
- Osaka: Explore the Dotonbori area, taking in its vibrant nightlife. For shopping enthusiasts, Shinsaibashi offers a plethora of choices.
- Kyoto: A harmonious blend of the past and present. While it's known for its temples, areas like Kawaramachi are shopper's delights.
- Seoul: Navigate through the futuristic cityscape of Gangnam, or wander in historic Bukchon Hanok Village. For shoppers, Myeongdong is a paradise of cosmetics and fashion, while Dongdaemun offers endless shopping hours.
- Busan: Revel in the coastal city's beaches and modern architecture. Centum City houses the world's largest department store for the ultimate shopping experience.
- Marina Bay Sands: Not only an architectural marvel but also a shopping and entertainment hub.
- Gardens by the Bay: A futuristic park that showcases what urban nature should look like.
- Orchard Road: A 2.2-kilometer stretch of shopping euphoria, offering everything from luxury brands to street markets.
- Dubai: Home to the iconic Burj Khalifa, Dubai Mall (one of the world's largest shopping centers), and a plethora of luxury boutiques. The Gold Souk offers a traditional shopping experience.
- Abu Dhabi: Marvel at the modern marvels like the Louvre Abu Dhabi. Yas Mall provides a premier shopping experience with international brands and local designers.
For the urban aficionado and the discerning shopper, Asia's cities are a dream. In these best Asian countries to visit, the juxtaposition of history and modernity offers a rich tapestry of experiences, ensuring every cityscape leaves an indelible mark on your heart.
For the Foodie
Asia is often touted as a food lover's paradise. With an amalgamation of flavors, techniques, and ingredients, its diverse culinary landscape is a gastronomic adventure waiting to be explored.
If your travels are driven by your palate, and the thrill of discovering new tastes excites you, here are the best Asian countries to visit:
- Sushi: Taste this art form in Tokyo’s upscale Ginza district or even in local markets like Tsukiji.
- Ramen: Slurp on this hearty noodle soup in the alleys of Fukuoka or the bustling streets of Osaka.
- Tempura: Delight in this deep-fried delicacy, best enjoyed in specialized restaurants in Kyoto.
- Curries: Dive into the rich gravies of North Indian dishes in Delhi or the coastal flavors of Goan curries.
- Biryani: Relish this fragrant rice dish, with its regional variations in Hyderabad, Lucknow, or Kolkata.
- Street Food: From Mumbai's chaats to the kachoris of Jaipur, Indian street food is a journey in itself.
- Pad Thai: Savor this stir-fried noodle dish, best enjoyed on the streets of Bangkok.
- Green Curry: Dive into the rich and aromatic flavors of this spicy dish, prevalent across the country.
- Mango Sticky Rice: Indulge in this sweet treat, a perfect balance of creamy coconut milk, ripe mangoes, and glutinous rice.
- Pho: Warm your soul with this noodle soup, tasting the authentic flavors in the streets of Hanoi.
- Banh Mi: Bite into this French-influenced sandwich, filled with a variety of meats and pickles, best enjoyed in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Spring Rolls: Relish the freshness of these rolls, both in their fried and fresh versions, throughout the country.
For the culinary explorer, every meal in Asia is an adventure, a story, a celebration. In these best Asian countries to visit, food is not just sustenance; it's a window into the soul of the culture, the history of the people, and the love of generations.
For the Spiritual Seeker
Asia, with its millennia-old traditions and spiritual practices, has long been a beacon for those in search of inner peace and enlightenment. Its sacred spaces, ancient rituals, and spiritual teachings offer a path to self-discovery and transcendence.
For those who yearn to connect with their inner selves, seeking solace and insight, here are the best Asian countries to visit:
- Varanasi: Bathed in the spiritual aura of the River Ganges, it's a place where life and death coexist. Experience the divine energy during the evening Ganga Aarti.
- Rishikesh: Known as the Yoga Capital of the World, find spiritual retreats, meditation classes, and the serene beauty of the Himalayan foothills.
- Bodh Gaya: Sit under the Bodhi Tree, where Lord Buddha attained enlightenment, absorbing the tranquility and sacred energy.
- Lumbini: Visit the birthplace of Lord Buddha, meditating amidst ancient ruins and monasteries.
- Monasteries: Engage with Tibetan Buddhist practices, interact with monks, and attend prayer sessions in places like Boudhanath and Swayambhunath.
- Spiritual Treks: Journey through paths less traveled, like the Annapurna Circuit, which is as much a spiritual quest as it is a physical challenge.
- Bagan: Traverse this ancient city dotted with thousands of pagodas, temples, and monasteries, each narrating tales of devotion.
- Golden Rock: A pilgrimage site, this gold-leaf covered rock, balanced precariously on a cliff edge, is said to be held in place by a strand of Buddha’s hair.
- Shwedagon Pagoda: Immerse in the golden glow of this 2,500-year-old pagoda in Yangon, a testament to Myanmar's rich Buddhist heritage.
- Tiger's Nest: Perched on a cliff, this monastery is not just an architectural wonder but also a place of profound spiritual significance.
- Monastic Festivals: Participate in the vibrant tshechus, where masked dances and rituals connect the material to the spiritual.
- Gross National Happiness: Learn about Bhutan's unique approach to life and governance, prioritizing spiritual well-being over material growth.
For the spiritual seeker, Asia offers a mosaic of experiences, each leading to profound realizations and deeper connections. In these best Asian countries to visit, the journey within becomes as enriching as the journey across its landscapes.
For the Adventure Junkie
Asia's vast and varied landscapes provide a backdrop for some of the world's most exhilarating adventures.
From scaling towering peaks to plunging into the depths of the ocean, this continent promises to challenge and thrill in equal measure. For those with a spirit that thrives on adrenaline and exploration, here are the best Asian countries to visit:
- Gobi Desert: Embark on a camel trek across this vast, barren expanse, experiencing the life of the nomads and the haunting beauty of sand dunes.
- Horse Riding: Traverse the Mongolian steppes on horseback, embracing the nation's equestrian heritage.
- Nomadic Culture: Experience the traditional Naadam Festival, showcasing the "Three Manly Sports": wrestling, horse racing, and archery.
- Bungee Jumping: Take the leap in Queenstown, the birthplace of commercial bungee jumping, from iconic spots like the Kawarau Bridge.
- Caving: Delve into the Waitomo Caves, exploring stunning limestone formations and encountering glow-worms.
- Extreme Sports: Indulge in skydiving, white-water rafting, and jet boating, making the most of New Zealand's diverse terrains.
- White-water Rafting: Challenge the fierce rapids of rivers like the Trishuli and Bhote Koshi, surrounded by spectacular mountain scenery.
- Paragliding: Soar over the picturesque town of Pokhara, getting a bird's-eye view of the Himalayan peaks and serene Phewa Lake.
- Everest Skydive: Experience one of the world's highest skydives, jumping over the Everest region, for an unparalleled adrenaline rush.
- Tubing: Float down the Nam Song River in Vang Vieng, surrounded by karst landscapes, making occasional stops at riverside bars.
- Jungle Treks: Embark on treks in northern Laos, navigating dense forests, remote hill tribes, and hidden waterfalls.
- Cave Exploring: Discover the Tham Kong Lo, a 7 km long cave, navigating its dark recesses by boat.
For the undaunted adventure junkie, Asia's horizons are limitless. In these best Asian countries to visit, every challenge conquered and every fear faced adds a new chapter to your personal tale of adventure.
For the Luxury Traveler
Asia, with its blend of ancient traditions and modern advancements, is home to some of the world's most luxurious experiences. From palace-like accommodations to personalized services, the continent knows how to pamper those with a taste for the finer things in life.
For those seeking elegance, comfort, and exclusivity, here are the best Asian countries to visit:
- Dubai: Experience the epitome of luxury with hotels like the Burj Al Arab, shop in upscale malls, and dine in gourmet restaurants overlooking the city's futuristic skyline.
- Desert Resorts: Retreat to palatial desert resorts like the Al Maha, offering private pools, desert safaris, and stargazing experiences.
- Fine Dining: Enjoy a culinary journey at Pierchic or dine in the world's highest restaurant, At.mosphere, in the Burj Khalifa.
- Private Island Resorts: Escape to exclusive havens like Soneva Fushi or One&Only Reethi Rah, where overwater bungalows, private butlers, and azure waters await.
- Underwater Dining: Immerse in a unique experience at Ithaa or Subsix, enjoying gourmet dishes as marine life glides by.
- Spa Retreats: Indulge in world-class spa treatments, some set underwater or amidst tropical greenery, rejuvenating mind, body, and soul.
- Five-Star Resorts in Phuket: Luxuriate in resorts like Amanpuri or the Banyan Tree, offering private villas, beachfront views, and personalized services.
- Luxury Villas in Koh Samui: Experience the blend of Thai hospitality and opulence in places like the Four Seasons or W Retreat.
- Exclusive Yacht Charters: Sail the Andaman Sea on private yachts, accessing secluded beaches and diving spots.
- Palace Hotels in Rajasthan: Stay in regal splendor in converted palaces like the Udaivilas in Udaipur or the Rambagh Palace in Jaipur.
- Luxury Train Journeys: Board the Maharajas' Express or the Palace on Wheels, traveling through India's landscapes while enjoying royal treatment.
- Private Retreats in the Himalayas: Escape to secluded luxury resorts like the Oberoi Wildflower Hall, offering panoramic mountain views and world-class spas.
For the discerning luxury traveler, Asia promises unparalleled refinement and relaxation. In these best Asian countries to visit, luxury is not just about opulence; it's about curated experiences, rich histories, and impeccable service that leaves you feeling like royalty.
Best Asia Cruises
Sailing through the waters of Asia provides a unique vantage point to explore its mesmerizing coastlines, ancient ports, and modern metropolises.
From the bustling harbors of Singapore to the tranquil bays of Vietnam, cruising in Asia is an experience of a lifetime. For those who wish to journey across the waters of this vast continent, here are some of the best Asia all-inclusive cruises to consider:
Southeast Asia Cruises
- Mekong River Cruises: Navigate the lifeblood of Southeast Asia, exploring the vibrant cities, rural landscapes, and ancient temples of Vietnam and Cambodia.
- Star Clippers in Thailand: Sail aboard tall ships, exploring the Andaman Sea's turquoise waters, hidden lagoons, and stunning beaches.
- Singapore to Hong Kong: Experience a blend of traditional and modern Asia, stopping at ports like Ho Chi Minh City, Bangkok, and Halong Bay.
East Asia Cruises
- Japan Explorer with Princess Cruises: Revel in the beauty of cherry blossoms, ancient temples, and bustling cities like Tokyo, Kyoto, and Hiroshima.
- China's Yangtze River with Viking River Cruises: Journey through the heart of China, witnessing the breathtaking Three Gorges, ancient villages, and the bustling city of Shanghai.
- South Korea and Japan with Royal Caribbean: Explore dynamic cities like Busan and Fukuoka while enjoying world-class onboard entertainment and amenities.
Indian Ocean Cruises
- Maldives with Variety Cruises: Experience paradise on a yacht, hopping between coral islands, turquoise lagoons, and pristine beaches.
- Mumbai to Colombo with Azamara: Dive deep into the cultural tapestry of India and Sri Lanka, exploring ancient temples, colonial ports, and vibrant bazaars.
- Indonesian Archipelago with Ponant: Venture into the remote islands of Indonesia, encountering Komodo dragons, traditional tribes, and underwater wonders.
- Raja Ampat with Aqua Expeditions: Delve into one of the world's richest marine biodiversities, experiencing pristine coral reefs, hidden caves, and untouched beaches.
For travelers looking to combine relaxation with exploration, Asia's cruise offerings cater to a myriad of interests and tastes. Whether you're a seasoned cruiser or a first-timer, these voyages in the best Asian countries to visit promise memories that will last a lifetime.
Tips and Tricks for Traveling in Asia
Asia, with its vastness and diversity, can be both enchanting and overwhelming.
To ensure that your journey is smooth, fulfilling, and memorable, here are some essential traveling tips and tricks to keep in mind when traversing the best Asian countries to visit:
1. Research the Best Times to Visit
- Asia's climate can vary greatly, from monsoons to dry seasons. Researching beforehand ensures you experience the region at its best.
2. Respect Cultural Etiquette
- Dress Appropriately: Especially in religious sites. Many temples and mosques require modest attire.
- Greetings: Understand local greetings. For instance, a bow in Japan or the "wai" in Thailand.
- Shoes: It's common to remove shoes before entering someone's home and even certain businesses or accommodations.
3. Learn Basic Local Phrases
- While English is spoken in many tourist areas, knowing simple phrases in the local language can enrich your interactions and is often appreciated.
4. Be Cautious with Street Food
- Street food is a highlight in many Asian countries. However, choose stalls that are popular with locals and ensure the food is freshly cooked.
5. Embrace Local Transportation
- From tuk-tuks in Thailand to rickshaws in India, using local transport not only is cost-effective but also adds to the authentic experience.
6. Always Negotiate
- Bargaining is a norm in many Asian markets. Start by offering half the asking price and negotiate from there, but always do so respectfully.
7. Stay Connected
- SIM cards are often cheap and easily available. Having a local number can be handy for bookings, navigation, and emergencies.
8. Prioritize Safety
- While most of Asia is safe for travelers, always be aware of your surroundings, especially in crowded places, to avoid pickpockets.
9. Pack Light and Versatile
- Many Asian destinations are known for affordable shopping. Packing light gives you the flexibility to buy items during your trip.
10. Embrace the Unexpected
- Part of the beauty of traveling in Asia is the unexpected. Whether it's an unplanned festival, a local inviting you for tea, or a sudden change in plans due to weather – go with the flow.
11. Stay Hydrated and Protect from the Sun
- The Asian sun can be relentless. Carry a water bottle, wear sunscreen, and use hats or umbrellas when exploring.
12. Research Local Scams
- As with many tourist destinations, there might be local scams targeting travelers. Being aware of common ones can save you time and money.
Exploring Asia is a journey of discovery, both external and internal. While it's essential to be prepared, it's equally crucial to stay open to the myriad of experiences that come your way. With these tips and tricks, you're better equipped to navigate the vibrant tapestry that is Asia.
Asia, in its grandeur and diversity, offers a kaleidoscope of experiences, landscapes, and emotions. Whether you're seeking the adrenaline of new adventures, the serenity of spiritual sites, the allure of luxury, or the simplicity of authentic local interactions, this vast continent beckons with open arms.
As you consider embarking on your journey through the best Asian countries to visit, remember that every step taken, every flavor savored, and every soul met adds a unique thread to the intricate tapestry of your memories. Here's to adventures that linger in the heart long after they're lived.
FAQs on Best Asian Countries to Visit
1. What is the best time of year to visit Asia?
- Asia is vast and diverse, with varying climates. Generally, the cooler months from November to March are popular for Southeast Asia, while spring (March to May) and autumn (September to November) are ideal for East Asia. Always check the specific country's climate before planning.
2. Is it safe to travel solo in Asia?
- Yes, many regions in Asia are safe for solo travelers, including women. Common sense, respecting local customs, and staying aware of one's surroundings are always advisable.
3. Do I need to get vaccinations before traveling to Asia?
- Depending on the country and region, certain vaccinations may be recommended or required. Consult your doctor or a travel clinic at least 6-8 weeks before departure.
4. Can I use credit cards throughout Asia?
- In major cities and tourist spots, credit cards are widely accepted. However, in remote areas or smaller establishments, cash is preferable. Always carry some local currency.
5. What are the visa requirements for traveling in Asia?
- Visa requirements vary by country and your nationality. Some countries offer visa-on-arrival or e-visas, while others require a visa in advance. Always check the official embassy website of the country you're visiting.
6. How do I deal with language barriers in Asia?
- English is spoken in many tourist areas. Learning basic local phrases, using translation apps, and carrying a phrasebook can be helpful. Often, gestures and a smile can go a long way!
7. Is tap water safe to drink in Asia?
- In many Asian countries, tap water isn't recommended for consumption. It's best to drink bottled or boiled water. Also, consider using a reusable water bottle with a built-in filter.
8. How can I stay connected while traveling in Asia?
- Many Asian countries offer affordable SIM cards with good data coverage. Wi-Fi is also commonly available in hotels, cafes, and some public areas.
9. What should I pack for my trip to Asia?
- While specific items depend on your destination and activities, lightweight clothing, comfortable footwear, a hat, sunscreen, universal adapter, and a basic first-aid kit are essentials.
10. Is vegetarian or vegan food available in Asia?
- Absolutely! Many Asian cuisines have a rich array of vegetarian and vegan dishes. However, it's a good idea to learn how to say "vegetarian" or "vegan" in the local language and double-check ingredients, especially in sauces or broths.
11. What are some local customs or etiquettes I should be aware of?
- Customs vary by country. Common practices include removing shoes before entering homes or religious sites, avoiding touching heads in Buddhist cultures, and using both hands when giving or receiving items in countries like South Korea.
12. Can I drive in Asia with my home country’s driving license?
- Some Asian countries accept International Driving Permits (IDP) alongside your home license. Always check specific country regulations and consider local traffic conditions before deciding to drive.
13. Are there any specific health concerns in Asia?
- Apart from the standard travel vaccinations, be cautious about mosquito-borne diseases like dengue or malaria in certain regions. Carry repellents and wear protective clothing.
14. How do tipping practices work in Asia?
- Tipping isn't as widespread in Asia as in the West. In many countries, it's not expected, and in some places, it might even be considered rude. However, in tourist-heavy areas or luxury establishments, tipping can be more common. It's best to research specific country practices.
15. What's the general approach to bargaining in markets?
- Bargaining is common and often expected in many Asian markets. Always do so politely and with a smile. If unsure about the price, check a few stalls before finalizing a purchase.
16. Are there any clothing considerations for travelers?
- Modesty is valued in many Asian cultures, especially when visiting religious sites. Light, breathable, and modest clothing is recommended. Additionally, carrying a scarf or shawl can be handy for covering up when needed.
17. How reliable is public transportation in Asia?
- Major cities like Tokyo, Singapore, and Hong Kong boast world-class public transportation. In other areas, the efficiency and comfort can vary. Researching in advance can help you navigate better.
18. Are there any wildlife considerations when traveling in Asia?
- Absolutely. When visiting natural habitats or participating in wildlife-related activities, ensure they are ethical and do not harm or exploit animals. Avoid attractions that offer elephant rides or shows using animals.
19. Can I use my electronic devices in Asia?
- Voltage and plug types vary across Asia. It's recommended to carry a universal adapter. Also, ensure your devices support the voltage range (usually 110V-240V) to avoid damage.
20. How can I ensure my safety during natural calamities, given that some parts of Asia are prone to earthquakes or typhoons?
- Stay informed by monitoring local news, heed warnings, and follow evacuation procedures if required. Choose accommodations that adhere to safety standards, and always be aware of emergency exits and evacuation routes.